Thursday, April 01, 2010

Appointments




Today was by far the busiest day we've had around here since the baby came. He and I had to be up at 6:30 this morning just to start getting ready. His appointment went great. He weighed in at a whopping 7#8ozs and is 19 1/4 " long. Obviously growth is not a problem. He was even cooperative for the rest of the exam. He doesn't have to go back until he's 2 months old and then he'll get his first set of shots.


My appointment was a little more complicated. It turns out my ear is no longer infected. The problem is my ear drum is now dull, discolored, and inverted. The doctor couldn't even get it to budge at all. Normally they try a high dose of steroids and if that doesn't work tubes is always an option. I've already had tubes though, so I'm not completely sure that would even help. Unfortunately I can't have the steroids because my blood pressure is too high. It was 170/110 in the office today. I could take medication for the blood pressure possibly allowing the steroids but that medication isn't safe while breast feeding. Why do things have to be so complicated. I have the option of pumping for 4-5 days while taking the meds and then going right back afterwards. It would be frustrating to quit nursing just to take a few days of unsafe medication.

Then again pumping around the clock for 5 days does seem overwhelming. I HATED the 24 hrs that I had to do that. I have another appointment next Friday at 11 and have to decide by then. I'm really too tired to even think about it right now. When my ear isn't hurting it seems like no big deal, but when it starts bugging me, usually at night I want it fixed right away. Again, why is nothing ever easy??

0 comments: