Monday, April 27, 2009

Homecoming

I've had some big news for a while now. The kind of news that makes you want to just burst. I couldn't say anything though for fear it would end up in disappointment. Just like it had several times before.

The King has been gone now, working out of town, for nearly a year and a half. Much of that time he has only come home every other Sunday. It hasn't been pleasant. We've done the best we possibly could to keep the girls routine normal. I travelled occasionally to visit, but mostly I just stayed here by myself in our home. Amazingly the girls remained very well adjusted, but they've been sad. It's so hard to explain to such young kids why things are sometimes hard for families. They missed their Dad and there wasn't a whole lot that I could do about that. I was busy myself just trying to keep my head above the laundry and dishes most days.

So, when he told me there was a job opening within his company in town, I was shocked. Shocked and not very optimistic. I'd gotten my hopes up before only to watch them fall. I didn't mention the chance to the girls even when he told me it was a for sure thing. Long story short, he came home on Friday. Home to stay. For a good while at least. I let him tell the girls. He waited until late in the weekend and told them he had an announcement to make. They took if very seriously and sat listening eagerly. He barely got the words out when the whooping and hollering started. I don't think they'd have been nearly as excited if we would have told them we were going to Disney Land.

It really didn't hit me until today. He left for work early so it seemed like any ordinary Monday. I went about my day doing laundry, making beds, planning dinner, etc. The little girls and I rode our bikes to get Chiggie from school. As soon as we got home, around 3:10, the King called to say he was on his way home. That felt weird. The girls stood at the gate waiting and started screaming as soon as they saw his truck. Dinner was a piece of cake with help cooking, serving, and cleaning up. I even made a cake for dessert and then we played games until bed time. Stuff like that was almost impossible there for a while. Happy. That's what I am right now. That's what WE are right now. Our family is whole again.

2 comments:

me said...

YAY!!! I am so stinkin' excited for you! It's been worth it and it'll only get better from here! *HUGS* and congratulations!

Christine said...

Hallelujah! I'm so happy for you guys! That's a huge life change that we can definitely be happy about!