Saturday, April 07, 2007

Break a Leg

*The weather we are having (temps in the 20's) messed up my Internet and phone connection and wasn't able to update yesterday so this may be a little long.*

My brother, sister in-law, and their little girls were in town again this week due to several business meetings he had in a nearby town. Thursday just happened to be my sister in-law's birthday so we all went over to my Mom's house for a BBQ in her honor. The night went great, the girls played with no fighting, the food was delicious, everyone was in a good mood. It was nice. Around 8pm we had to leave. My little sister had school the next day and they needed to start getting ready for bed. We loaded up our crew and all that they brought with them and headed out. As I was stepping out the front door I turned back to say something, trivial I am sure, to my Mom and I missed the front step. My right ankle rolled and I hit the ground.

I was positive that my ankle was broken. The pain was sharp and intense. My toes were burning and my lower leg felt hot. I couldn't stand back up. Chiggie was so freaked out she started crying and by this time I had a small crowd hovering over me checking my welfare. As quickly as the pain had come it started to subside. Enough so that I was able to rise and hobble to the car. I decided against a trip to the ER and we went home instead. Once home I removed my sock and investigated the injury. There was some bruising on the outside and very minor swelling. I elevated it and watched some t.v. before bed.

That night will go down in history as one of the strangest we have had in a long time. The girls fell asleep quickly, after all the running and playing that had done at my Mom's. The King and I retired at around 10:30. That's when it started. No sooner had my head hit the pillow when I heard Midge begin to fuss. I decided to let her a fuss a bit and see if she would go back to sleep. Finally at 11 I went up to check on her. No poopy diaper, room was warm enough, cool forehead, just as I thought. I gave her a little bit of Tylenol just in case she was having pain from teething and hobbled back down the stairs.

It was getting cold in the house and I jumped back into the covers. I got warm and lay there enjoying the silence. Midge had fallen back asleep, I had taken some pain killers for my ankle, and now I could sleep as well. I had just drifted off (11:45) when I heard Tea scream out. I was startled by the sound but hoped she had just yelled out in a dream. Nope 10 seconds later and it was full blown screaming. I sprinted back up the stairs as fast as my handicapped ankle would let me and grabbed her before she woke the baby or Chiggie. She was inconsolable upstairs so I decided to bring her down to my bed so we could all get some sleep. We snuggled in and I rubbed her back until she was asleep again.

Okay, I thought, enough of this I need me some sleep. I rolled over and melted into the pillow and mattress. I must've dozed off because before I new it it was 12:45 and Midge was screaming again. Really screaming this time. Uggghhh. I felt paralyzed. I didn't even get up until about 1:20 and then I went up yet again dragging the bum ankle. Still nothing was visibly wrong. I took her from the crib and rocked her in my arms until she was calm. I then laid her back down and she stayed. I hopped back down the stairs and got back into bed. Minutes later I was in slumber land.

Until I was again awoken by a blood curdling scream. Chiggie! My ankle was really sore by now so I figured forget about it and up the stairs I went. I found a disoriented, freezing, Chiggie. She had taken off her pajamas, which she often does, and had a nightmare as well. I consoled her the best I could dealing with a nightmare of my own. When she was calm I started to cover her back up and she informed me that she wasn't staying up there. I brought her down quickly remembering our bed would not hold another person. I suggested the family room couch in a moment of desperation and she accepted. I covered her and wished her well. By the time I got back to my bed Midge was screaming yet again. I'm sure it was from all the commotion. I decided she was going to have to fly solo this time.

It was hard after all the excitement, but I fell back asleep. I woke up what seemed like minutes later to Tea violently alternating between shaking my shoulder and slapping my head. "Get out, get out, it's morning." I looked up, the sun was out, and Midge was crying. Why yes it is. Strangely my ankle was feeling okay. Hmmm must have been all the physical therapy.

0 comments: