Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Long Day

Today was a very long day. I can't believe I'm actually still up and functioning to be honest. It started early and cold. We woke up to 8+" of snow. Not cool on spring break, very not cool. I had already decided that today would be the day that I would take Buster to get his 2nd PKU so I got everybody up and moving right away. The hospital lab only does the draw between 9-12 and he had to be weighed in labor and delivery first so we had to hurry. Of course everything that could go wrong did and we were extremely rushed. I ended up leaving the house with semi wet hair. It took an extra 10 minutes to get all of the snow off of the car just so that we could safely drive.

By this time it was 11:25 and too late to take the girls to my Mom's so they had to come along. Fortunately they were wonderful and helpful. We went upstairs and he was weighed. 6#'s 10 ozs. Up four ozs from his birth weight. At only 8 days old this was a huge relief. Unfortunately the jaundice he developed over the weekend was looking just a bit worrisome. The nurse suggested having him looked at by the pediatrician. Ugh. I knew she was going to want labs drawn and I really just wished we could do it all in one shot. Nope. We went back down to the lab and they did the PKU draw and we went home.

We were home long enough for him to have some visitors, who brought him some great treats by the way, and have a quick lunch before we were back out the door on our way to the docs office. Just as I suspected she wanted lab work done. There's a different lab right across the street from the office so we just walked over and they saw him right away. Poor guy was not happy and he was sure to make himself very heard.

The doc called this evening and she is fairly sure he has breast milk jaundice. The cure=24hrs without breast milk. I was disappointed, worried and anxious. It freaks me out to think he won't transition back and forth. The King calmed me down and bought me a new pump. I had no problem using it and that relaxed me some. I was even more relaxed when Buster had no problem with his first bottle. It's only a day and I just keep telling myself that. The sad thing is after such an exhausting day, now I have to pump every 2 hrs ALL NIGHT LONG plus make him bottles. Yikes. This newborn stuff is hard work, but it is so worth it!

1 comments:

me said...

Jax had that. Hated it!
*HUGS*