Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Preschool Woes

As a parent you are pretty much guaranteed at one point or another to second guess yourself on a particular decision. Especially as your children grow and their individuals needs expand. I truly believe that different things work and are appropriate for different children. I battled back and forth last year as to whether or not to enroll Chiggie in a preschool program. I weighed the pros and cons but ultimately I think I was persuaded by society and "professionals" that it was definitely the way to go.

Now, I really don't know. Sometimes it seems as though most of what she has picked up on is negative. I guess theoretically by keeping her home I would have been delaying the inevitable. I mean I am sure all of that would've come with Kindergarten as well.....or would it have. I also would have to question the particular school she attends. It is also a daycare facility and many of the children in her class have attended since birth. Because of this there are believe it or not cliques within the classroom. I never even really considered that possibility.

I am not concerned with what she is learning. I know that will come with time and formal education was never my intent. On the other hand I don't think a little structure would hurt. On top of that some of the facility's social ideas are a little odd. I agree that you can't tolerate children being mean and hurtful to others but it's just the cold hard truth that everybody is not your friend. I don't think there is anything wrong with children trusting their gut on this one. In the past the children that Chiggie has avoided all on her own have usually been too aggressive or rough for her liking.

Overall I would have to say that it is probably best to just go with your gut. If you are influenced by too many people with differing opinions you may just end up disappointed.

0 comments: