Sunday, August 10, 2008

Help

I've never really been one to ask for help. I'm really just more comfortable doing things on my own. In my 7+ years of mothering I have done almost everything by myself (with help from the King of course!) Don't get me wrong I get offers, I just have a hard time accepting. I'm a perfectionist and I make myself feel inadequate if I don't do things on my own. My logical side knows this is ridiculous, but the pressure is always there.

Up until now, I think I've done a really good job. I've made it through pregnancies, births, and multiple other ordeals and never really dropped the ball so to speak. Lately though things have been a little different. The King is gone. A Lot. We're working towards a goal, I know that, and I'm very supportive. This is very important for our future. Financially and emotionally. For now though, it's just plain hard. The days sometimes just seem to run together.

I've done a pretty good job with the house, but the yard, ummmmm not so much. I just don't have the time or the energy. By the time I'm done with the inside and everything else I have to do the yard just doesn't really factor in. Today my Mom and my Step Dad showed up out of nowhere. They stayed and did a days worth of yard work. They did all the mowing, edging, pulled weeds, swept the walks, you name it. All while I stayed inside with the kids (Boo is sick.) I was extremely shocked and grateful. I didn't ask for it, but I guess sometimes you don't have to.

2 comments:

me said...

Well I'm glad your Mom and Step-dad did that for you, there's nothing wrong with a little help once in a while...or a lot of times if you have four kids and are alone a lot. Stop turning down those offers, young lady, so you don't burn out! *HUGS* :)

Christine said...

Maybe I'm tired but this almost made me cry. I'm just amazed by all you do and I'm so glad that someone was able to help you. And that you let them! That's really hard to do!

I feel the same way most of the time. I feel like I SHOULD be able to do it all and that my success as a wife and mother are contingent upon it. It's been a while, but I've been in your place and it's not easy. BUT . . . This is a BIG BUTT . . . When you don't allow people to help, you're depriving them of an opportunity to serve, which is an opportunity for them to receive blessings. They probably feel great after helping and that's something I don't want to take away from others. Does that make sense? It's still really hard! But I think of the times I've been able to help someone else and that makes me feel successful too. ;)

Plus, I bet you're so relieved to get that yard work crossed off the list! *Hugs!*