Monday, December 15, 2008

Boo's Big Boo Boo

Poor Boo. She can't seem to catch a break lately. Poor thing is getting sick or hurt left and right. Today was by far the worst though. I was vacuuming the family room this afternoon when over the buzz I heard her SCREAMING. I turned around and blood was streaming down her face. She had tripped and hit her forehead on the fireplace. I could see a couple of gashes but couldn't properly assess them. I cleaned her up and got a closer look. One was a small almost puncture like wound. It looked painful but not big enough to cause worry. The other one was a deep, longer, cut.

I immediately called my Mom for a second opinion. She came right over to help with the other girls and take a look. She's a nurse and she seconded my opinion. Stitches would be necessary to close the wound. Fortunately the doctor disagreed. He said that because it had stopped bleeding and the location (the forehead) stitches were not recommended. He said it would leave a train track scar and the whole experience wouldn't be worth the trauma. He has two daughters himself and while he left it up to me said that he would choose to steri strip the wound and apply antibiotic. So Boo was off the hook, or the needle I guess.

The rest of the evening she was cranky and kept grabbing at her head and saying "owie?" I felt bad for her and guilty. I've always worried about the fireplace but luckily nothing has ever happened. We need some type of a bumper around it regardless of how it would look. Boo is a monkey though and she isn't easily deterred. Several times tonight I had to take her off coffee tables and such. Hopefully this will be as bad as it gets.....

4 comments:

Granola said...

Poor Boo. We hope she feels better and heels up quickly.

Christine said...

Oh no! Poor girl! Maybe Christmas will bring her a new sense of balance and a good helping of luck. *HUGS*!

Danielle said...

I'm sorry for you both! I'm sure it was just as bad for you to see your baby in pain!

me said...

That's rough, but even padding isn't going to prevent owies. Here's hoping it at least slows her down around the fireplace! I too have a monkey, so I can relate to the flinching this results in for Mom.