Sunday, June 12, 2011

Amazing

When I first began searching for a pre-school/learn to read curriculum for Midge, I had no idea where to start. I looked at all sorts of really expensive phonics programs, CD Roms, and videos. Finally after talking to several moms who have btdt I decided to give "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" a try.

It cost us $12. I went ahead and started as soon as the book came. Midge is 5 which is definitely old enough to learn to read, but our expectations weren't super high. Both the book and Midge have exceeded our every expectation. We are just under halfway through and she is really reading. She knows almost all of her sounds and many sight words. She is very familiar with the concept of phonics and loves the cute little stories. She gets very excited when it's time to uncover the pictures. There is no doubt in my mind that when we reach the end of the book, which will be somewhere around the beginning of August, she will be reading far above her grade level.

I am so glad that I didn't spend a bunch of money on another curriculum. To supplement we check out several books per week at the library and she loves drawing, coloring, and crafting. It will make next year much easier on me and her and Tea will be able to do a lot together because they can both read!

0 comments: