Monday, February 05, 2007

Just Thinkin'

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I want for my girls. Trust me living in Colorado in the wintertime, you have a lot of time to "think." I have established in my mind what I don't want. I don't want to over schedule our family to the point that we never see each other. I don't want to spend more time talking about what we want to do than we spend implementing our ideas. And most of all I don't want to spend so much time over analyzing every little moment that I am too mentally exhausted to enjoy life.

When Chiggie was a baby I had it all right. I didn't even know it and it was completely out of my control, but I had a good thing going. We didn't have much money so I had to be really creative in the ways of entertainment. We took a lot of walks, spent time at different parks, and visited with family. Cable television was a luxury that we did not have so we read all the time. Not surprisingly after she was born I lost 100 lbs in less than a year. There was no fast food, no t.v., and often times the King had the car and our mode of transportation was on foot. I exercised a lot just for fun. I didn't realize at the time how enriching this all was for her.

Fast forward almost 6 years and two kids and an additional pregnancy later. We don't have a whole lot more money, but enough to make a difference. I don't know what we would do without the t.v. or the computer. I do try to take the girls on walks and to the parks but sometimes it just seems like a lot of work. One of the reasons I love the town that we live in so much is that it is small and there isn't a lot to do. That's not a typo, I really feel that way. Sometimes when you have to try a little harder you learn to enjoy the small stuff. Spending a summer day at the local pool or the library or riding your bike to the ice cream shop to have a treat really is something special.

Anyway, I guess I am just saying that I want to focus on what it is really important. In just a few months Chiggie will start Kindergarten, and there will be 4 little ones in our family. Things are moving so fast. I just want to down shift and take it a little slower for a bit.

0 comments: