Saturday, August 08, 2009

You Don't See that Everyday

Last Tuesday I took Chiggie to the eye doctor. It was recommended at her physical when they couldn't get her vision to 20/20. I wanted to get her in before school started just in case she would need glasses to see in class. She was so excited at the prospect of getting glasses. She spent the entire time in the waiting room looking at frames and cases. Once we got called back her excitement diminished just a bit. She was not fond of having her eye pressure checked. Then again, I don't know very many adults who can willingly hold their eye open while a puff of air is blown into it.

We got through that part and than were sent back to the lobby to wait for the doc. The doctor was very friendly and he made her feel at ease right away. I relaxed and he led her through the exam. There was a lot of "what looks better, this or this? #1 or #2?" She cooperated and soon they were finished.

Then came the bad news. Chiggie says it was all in slow motion. One minute she was in the exam chair, just following instructions, and the next she was hearing the words her little ears just weren't ready to hear. "You DON"T need a prescription. You're vision is perfect." He may as well have told her he ran over our puppy in the parking lot or McDonald's is closing permanently. She was crushed. No fancy lenses. No Hannah Montana glasses case. She pleaded for him to check just one more time and he chuckled assuring her this was indeed a good thing. I on the other hand was of course relieved. I have poor vision and am very aware of everything that comes with that. She's a character that Chiggie.

2 comments:

Carmajo said...

Awwww, I can totally relate! I was so estatic as a child when I found out I needed glasses. Now I wish I could afford lasik surgery...haha!

me said...

I have NEVER heard of a kid wanting glasses, that is crazy funny! I'm glad her vision is great, even if she is not! ;)