Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Road Schooling

When we first started this adventure,over two months ago, I didn't think our schooling would change much.  I liked what we were using and planned to keep on using it.  Then we got here.  I still love everything we were using, but it took up WAY too much space.  I tried a few different things but the main problem remained.  Too much stuff and not enough storage.  I am by nature a neat and orderly person, so having containers of school supplies overflowing was just not working.  We finished out the year, but I vowed not to start the new year off on this note.  Just last week, I packed up our old curriculum and put it into storage.  Since then I have been really thinking about the direction I want to go.  All of the kids so far are at grade level or advanced so what we were doing was working.  I don't want to do anything to mess that up. 

After researching what seeemed endlessly, I came up with  solution that I believe has the potential to work.  The older two will be transitioning to a mostly computer based (not online) curriculum.  With the exception of their reading material and math sheets, most of their work will be completed and stored to disks.  Yay for organized!  The littler two will be working on unit studies, that while may take up room in the form of papers and crafts, can be disposed of fairly quickly.  No bulky textbooks and teacher guides.  Whew!  I know we still have a good bit of summer left, but I am a planner and it feels good to know what to expect.  Especially since we will most likely be making a major move in the fall (think states away) and I really don't want to get behind on anything!

0 comments: