Monday, May 21, 2007

Insanity

Once upon a time I was sane. I had a plan. Things were organized. I knew what month it was, the day of the week, and took a shower every day. Sometimes twice, just to relax. Fast forward to now. The second the laundry hamper is emptied into the washer, it is filled back up. Just as I wash the last dish a snack or drink is requested. I shower with the curtain partly open, usually shouting, "stay away from that. Shut the refridgerator. Where is your diaper?"

What can I say. It all happened so fast. For the most part I have adjusted to this busy lifestyle. Every now and then though, I encounter situations that make even my hair curl. Take the Pediatricians Office for example. I hate to go there. The exam rooms are tiny. The wait is generally long. And I especially hate when they have to get shots.

Today was a double whammy. It was Midge's 15 month well child check and I knew she would have to have 2 shots. While I didn't say anything I also knew that Chiggie would be getting her Varicella booster. We made it through the actual check-up all in one piece. They were all well behaved and quiet for the most part. The nurse walked in at the end with the supplies for the shots. Chiggie patted Midge and told her to be brave. The nurse broke the news and Chiggie bolted on me. She wedged herself behind the exam table and the wall. Being 7 months pregnant made this even harder than it already would have been. I could hardly fit in the space to grab her out.

I tried reasoning and finally held her on the table so the shot could be given. She screamed, and screamed. She really let them have it. Telling them all about how much she hated their office and would not be returning. She told them how stupid shots were and that when she grew up she would never get another one. Meanwhile Midge, realizing she was next, made a beeline for the door and was on her tiptoes rattling the handle. I snagged her, kicking and screaming, and put her on the table. Tea just watched wide eyed. Soon it was all over and we could leave.

I got everybody to the car. At this point no one was crying anymore. We got in, got buckled up and I started the engine. From the very back I heard Chiggie sounding cheerful, " Mommy, when we come back next time, we will have the new baby with us. Won't that be fun."

Me through tears, of joy of course, "yes, baby, I can't wait."

0 comments: