Sunday, September 16, 2012

Week 4

 This week I have to say I am so thankful for our health so far this year.  So many families that we are close to have experienced some pretty nasty illnesses so far this season.  We are chugging right along so if it hits us at least we shouldn't be thrown too far off track.

The highlights this week include: Boo's reading and writing.  She is progressing much faster than I anticipated that she would.  I am excited to see what happens in the next two weeks as she will start learning consonant blends which will open her reading world up quite a bit.  Her handwriting just seems so good for her only being 5 as well.  I take this as a blessing because I am so busy this year I wouldn't have wanted her to slip through the cracks.

 We wrapped up our unit on bones and added skeletons to everyone's personal persons.  To help understand bones and how they work we dissected chicken bones.  That was interesting for all involved.


The girls were pretty grossed out by the red bone marrow.  I was impressed with how much Boo retained.  She cut herself on the arm later the same afternoon and asked me if her red bone marrow would replace the blood cells she lost.  It was a pretty happy teacher moment for me.

Both older girls have a math test on Monday.  Math is going well and they seem to be progressing nicely.  Chiggie's math is so long that sometimes both of us get a little frustrated by that.

In history we are reading a novel about the War of 1812 and another novel about Tecumseh.  We will finish those both up early next week and then do some notebooking activities. 

Next week will also wrap-up our study of Noah and the flood.  The little girls are working on a lapbook and Chiggie has some verses to read along with some questions to answer.

Now if we can just stay healthy I think we are doing just great!

0 comments: